Applications for the graduate representative for the Board of Visitors (BOV) are accepted now. Download the application at http://www.dsa.vt.edu/BOV/apply.php. The graduate student representative to the BOV serves as a liaison between graduate students and the board. The position provides a great leadership experience, as well as an opportunity to learn about the university’s governance structure and decision-making process. Graduate students are invited to apply or encourage deserving peers to consider the position. Contact Nick Warrington at email@example.com with any questions.
We welcome our new graduate students with a short orientation program on Friday, Jan 17, 2:00-3:30pm in GLC Room F, followed by coffee and light refreshments in the GLC Lobby. The program includes a welcome from Dean DePauw, introduction to Graduate-School and campus resources for graduate students, and meeting with student leaders.
A variety of programs during the first few weeks of classes is also available to help new students get acclimated to Virginia Tech and graduate school. For details visit our orientation website at http://graduateschool.vt.edu/Orientation.
A number of prestigious awards are presented to graduate students each year, carrying a monetary prize ($200-$1000 each) and award certificate. The Graduate School invites nominations by faculty and departments for any of the following awards:
- Outstanding Dissertation in (1) math, sciences and engineering, and (1) in social sciences, business and humanities
- Preston Society Master’s Thesis Award
- Graduate Student Teaching Excellence (1) for GTA instructor of record (1) GTA instructor assistant
- Graduate Student Service Excellence
- Graduate Student of the Year (up to three awards given; self-nominations and nominations by other students are also accepted)
- Outstanding master’s and doctoral student in each college and in interdisciplinary programs
Winners will be presented at the Graduate School’s annual awards banquet on March 27, 2014. For more information about criteria, forms, and process for nomination, visit http://graduateschool.vt.edu/awards.